4.07.2010

guerilla

When I first heard a mention of guerilla knitting I immediately thought “WHAT????? Why am I not out doing this right now!?

I immediately went home to start an endless google search looking through images and locations. It was instant love!.. . Ok, probably more of an unhealthy obsession.

The juxtaposition of knit and street art is absolutely brilliant. I picture grandmas in their gray bouffant hair do’s sneaking out at night in their metallic track suits, knitting needles in hand ready to graffiti the city.

These are some of my favorites:








Long before I ever did any of my own, it inspired me to start crocheting other various objects that happened to be around. This turned into all kinds of things around my house slowly turning into colorful yarn art.


Finally I found the courage to venture out and create some guerilla knit of my very own. I wasn’t so much nervous about getting in any actual trouble, just the thought of people walking staring by made me nervous enough. Also, I did think twice about the parking patrol that is constantly driving around looking for rebellious cars sitting too close to stop signs. So I snuck out in the middle of the night and got to work on a street sign.. not a very fun task when it is freezing cold and drizzling out. Most people walking by didn’t give me a second look, actually I think they were avoiding looking over at all. About half way down the post I hear someone call out “What are you doing??” I look up to see 3 people sitting in a window smoking across the way staring down at me. “Just some late night crocheting, you know how it is,” I replied. “Like yarn graffiti??” they called back. “Um.. yes actually!” I answered. As I finished I realized I hadn’t brought anything to cut the yarn loose so went to town with my canines trying to detach my yarn from the post.. which I'm sure was quite a show for my upstair observers.

I have to say I loved it a little! I’ve already started pulling out all kinds of unfinished scarves and various other pieces that I can take out to cover the city.




-Liz

3 little red shoes

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I haven't knit anything in so long... This makes me want to pick the hobby up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz! In reply to your comment about potatoes- I live in Ballard and work in Lower QA so that's not so far! I don't drive though. Shoot me an email and we can arrange something. renai.marie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete